Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Brief Off-Season (WARNING: non-cycling content)

For just the second time in Switchback Publications' short (but distinguished) history, I am publishing a non-cycling post. My 2011 summer cycling season pretty much ended with a 160km ride in Cesme, Turkey in early September. I had hoped to ride the following week in Istanbul, but the traffic and chaos was a little too unbearable. Plus, all I really wanted to do was eat more baklava (which would explain why I gained 3kg in Istanbul).


So, I decided my legs and knees should rest and recover in advance of my next cycling trip (details to be announced next week). I returned to the US on September 15th. Since then, I've been catching up with friends and family in Boston, New York City, and Dallas. 


Here are a few pictures from September. It was great to see so many people I had not seen in such a long time. 

I spent a week in Turkey with my friend from Babson College, Yigit Tatis, and his wife, Denise, and their two kids. We were in Bodrum for several days and then Cesme.

Yigit and his daughter, Derin.

Bodrum. I spent 3 days here with Yigit and his family. Turkey's coast is beautiful.

The view from my hotel room in Bodrum.

I stayed with Baris Merzeci in Istanbul for one whole crazy week. Baris is another great friend from Boston.

With Baris and Raki, the Turkish equivalent of Ouzo.

With Baris and Atay Arpaciogullari, another Turk from Babson.

Baris on the Bosphorus.

I'm standing in Europe. Asia is on the other side of the river.

Can Aydinoglu, another great friend from Babson College.

The Bosphorus Bridge is lit up in the background.

My sister, Rebecca, with extended family, Sidney and Judy Bresnick in Manhattan. I visited for several days just after returning to the US.

Rebecca waiting for me outside Bernie Madoff's old office in the Lipstick Building at 54th and 3rd.

Another good Babson friend, Abdul Rahman, from Jordan. We met for lunch in midtown Manhattan.


With Melissa Zalkin in NYC. I'm not sure if my head is really big or hers is small.
Another good friend from Babson, Sanjiv Patel. I'm spending this week with him in Dallas. He runs Lord Nut Levington, a gourmet peanut company. This photo is taken in the stock room.

No comments:

Post a Comment