Monday, July 25, 2011

This Week's Cycling Adventure: The Dolomites

I just booked a flight. I'm off to the Dolomites on Wednesday morning. In case you don't know, the Dolomites are located here in northern Italy. The Dolomites are a limestone mountain range and appear quite different than the Alps, even though they are just a couple of hundred kilometers away. 


Last week, I spent a couple of days planning my trip. This is how its shaping up:

  • Wednesday: 830am EasyJet flight from Barcelona to Milan. Pick up a rental car and drive 400km to Badia. 
  • Thursday: the Maratona dles Dolomites course (another cyclosportif, or Gran Fondo as they are known in Italy). The Maratona was held last month, but I plan to ride the 7 passos anyway (total: 138km and 4190m of climbing).
  • Friday: the Sella Ronda course. Another Gran Fondo, and covering several of Thursday's passos, but in reverse.
  • Saturday: rest day. Drive to Trento.
  • Sunday: I have entered The Charly Gaul Gran Fondo in Trento. The race is 145km and 3,600m of ascent. Looking forward to it.
  • Monday: rest day. Drive to Bormio.
  • Tuesday: I plan to ride the Marco Pantani Gran Fondo (already held this year, so I'll just ride the course). 175km and 4500m over Passo Gavia, Mortirolo and Cristina.
  • Wednesday: Climb Passo Stelvio (hopefully from the north and south) and Passo Umbrail. 
  • Thursday: drive to Milan for a 6pm flight back to Barcelona.
  • Friday: sleep for ~24 hours. Clean up the apartment before my friend, Ari Patni, visits for the weekend.

So, a nine-day trip, five of the Dolomites' six highest passos, two rest days (or buffer-days, just in case), and lots of awesome cycling.


I am expecting a rough week. The Dolomites are steeper than the Alps and Pyrenees. And although the Dolomites are popular with cyclists, I get the impression they attract the more serious cyclists. That is fine with me; I just hope there are plenty to meet while I am on the road.


For more information on the Dolomites, click here. And below are some Google images of the Dolomites.


Stay tuned. I'll be posting from the northern Italy shortly.











2 comments:

  1. Cool. The Stelvio!! Good luck and have fun. Can you imagine planning a trip like this before the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really full program :-) Have fun and enjoy the Dolomites.

    And for the next time, if you have more time to ride some hidden Dolomites roads/passes check some of my training rides on Garmin Connect.

    ReplyDelete